Veggie Voyagers

Couple travelled 30 states and 3 Canadian provinces between 7/07 and 5/08 running their 1987 Ford truck on straight veggie oil. The blog continues with a focus on the natural world and energy politics from a personal perspective

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Hiking Escalante with my Bro

 My brother Warren is a human dynamo. He and his friend Ed have come out to hike in the South-west a couple of times. They leave at 7am and come back after dark and we've been caught up in the vortex of the hiking energy for the last few days.
 The first hike we took together was to Lower Calf Creek Falls and I left my memory card in the computer and missed all photos of this unique and completely gorgeous place-- beaver, trout, three figure pictograph, clear riparian creek with grasses and trees between the canyon walls  and at the end a 126 feet falls... so lovely!
That afternoon we hiked down an un-named wash, crossing and recrossing the small stream many times. I was way behind the men and following their tracks but knew that if I went as far as they did I'd also come back last, which would have been after dark so I was alone the whole hike, as I was on the morning hike. The quiet and the beauty my companions. I never made it to the slot canyon destination though.
 Last night Michael wasn't feeling well so he didn't sleep much. Warren and Ed went off on a 17 mile hike and we went to a place called Devil's Garden which has only a few acres of hoodoos.
 I did a big loop down the wash below the hoodoos, circled back over red sliprock and unavoidably tromped on some of the living soils before completing a large loop back to the Veggie Voyager. I knew sort of where I was but the distances and terrain changes disoriented my simple meander over cattle trails and through a tiny section of the Kaiparowits plateau. I was appreciative to be back in the Devil's Garden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home