Veggie Voyagers

Couple travelled 30 states and 3 Canadian provinces between 7/07 and 5/08 running their 1987 Ford truck on straight veggie oil. The blog continues with a focus on the natural world and energy politics from a personal perspective

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanks. Living.



It’s a crisp, cold day in Northern Georgia with lots of titmice, chickadee, and what I think are lesser goldfinch (minus the gold,) at the feeder. Bronzy reddish oaks hold onto the fall color and help the blue sky define itself through the large picture windows of my brother’s family’s “cabin” here in the Chattahoochees of Northern Georgia, less than 20 miles from the Tennessee state line.
Yesterday we walked up Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. This Thanksgiving eve two inches of rain fell and created an ice garden at elevation that sparkled above and around us. At dusk on the ridge line we had a golden sunset on one side and the full moon rising on the other while the very full car rocked with our singing.
Thanksgiving Day itself was almost all about food preparation. Carol prepared THE most delicious salad and pies, traditional mashed potatoes, cranberries and best of all, a vegetarian version of chestnut dressing that I am longing for right now. Warren tried to cook a 22 pound turkey on a Webber (barbeque) and discovered it was a “no go” which delayed the feast a little but we were all really ready to eat when the turkey was done which, I think, made the meal even more delicious. I prepared a Hubbard squash, wild rice and some split pea soup for my contribution, same as I probably would have made at home. I’m almost 40 years a vegetarian and my nephew Danny is also vegetarian so it was easy to accommodate differences.
We called home to Chico, Ca. and talked to Orien and her dad, Sheldon, and it was reassuring to hear about the potluck of the Riparia community. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Often there are still things that haven’t frosted in the summer garden as well as a good range of local produce from the Chico Farmer’s Market. A potluck is easier because the responsibility sort of smoothes out and no one is on the spot for the culinary satisfaction of the diners. In any case, if we could be anywhere but home I am Grateful we were here. I adore my nephews and the new puppy, getting to be with Isabel, the hospice kitty, my wonderful sister-in-law Carol, and my closest family in a very small family, my good hearted brother, Warren.
Michael is back outside. He got the Acme juicer to balance better and is fixing various oddly breaking down aspects of our 1987 Ford truck. We made it up here on 20% biodiesel and hope to leave on straight veggie.
If we know you we miss you and if we don’t we wish you well and to all good wishes for the Liveliness of your Awareness in this great experience of Being Alive. Thank Fully.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home