Veggie Voyagers

Couple travelled 30 states and 3 Canadian provinces between 7/07 and 5/08 running their 1987 Ford truck on straight veggie oil. The blog continues with a focus on the natural world and energy politics from a personal perspective

Saturday, April 28, 2012

 Lovely Chico Spring! Things are bolting and going to seed and needing to be pulled out already. I had to take out all my kale but I've got in my trusty zucchini and some peppers and have replanted the spring things I can't give up on like lettuce, spinach, cilantro and etc.
 I knocked over some of the onions but couldn't stand to take away their lovely little stand even though they won't make nice round onions with all the growth going up into the seed heads. I'm a bad farmer...it's hard for me to take out things like volunteer sun-flowers. I've learned to be very harsh with the volunteers in the compost but ordinarily if it wants to be somewhere I let it...
 Our asparagus stash used to be from some long rows that a former farmer had planted out back but it was always a big struggle to keep weeded. In the interest of perma-culture we've planted some right near us so we could stay on top of them -- since they can be up and ready to harvest in 1-2 days... Anyway, I bought some today at Farmer's Market since I want MORE than what we have been eating... I want a big serving! Our plants are better than last year but still not near enough.
 I just want to give appreciation to the farmers this almost Workers of the World Day. I love the beauty and fecundity of the produce and riotous flowers. Gratitude for their labors and for this earth that keeps feeding us despite our mixed behavior toward her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home