Veggie Voyagers

Couple travelled 30 states and 3 Canadian provinces between 7/07 and 5/08 running their 1987 Ford truck on straight veggie oil. The blog continues with a focus on the natural world and energy politics from a personal perspective

Friday, May 9, 2008

Home a week



Home yet again. Home finally and completely. The waxwings and other birds are going crazy in the mulberry and I saw western tanagers on the way down to my neighbor, Emily’s to use her wifi connection.
Michael has been working hard to get the garden ready. He had to mow, water, disc, rake, rototill, rake again and now is scoring compost. It’s hot and hard work. Meanwhile, I went back to the coast with women friends for three days and had straight through fun times. (These are photos from our trip. I Loved being with Weezie, Emily and Laurel!)
Now, I’ve been to a meeting about current environmental concerns and the local General Plan update. I’ve shopped at our Natural Foods store and been up to the community radio station, KZFR. I’ve applied for an extra help position, been through some problem solving about some dramas and felt sad for lack of solutions. I’ve turned down people who wanted help on some things and said yes to others.
The tight rope has gotten wider. My guard is coming down. I don’t think about the veggie voyage because nobody else is.
I cleaned my rock collection out of the truck finally and I’m giving back the borrowed books on CD. We have dentist appointments.

Sigh. Clock and crickets and late night barely thereness. It seems my focus is already bouncing around as I follow my laundry list of “to dos” from one thing to the next in widening spirals of things to do and complexities about each thing.
This is how we lose touch. But here I am, still with reverence for our meals together and for the luxury of time off and not absolutely desperate to be working yet. Riding my bike and running into friends and allies. It’s not so bad that I have to paint the changes as negative ones but I do feel a bit disingenuous keeping the blog going just with the chatter of a non voyaging existence.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home