Veggie Voyagers

Couple travelled 30 states and 3 Canadian provinces between 7/07 and 5/08 running their 1987 Ford truck on straight veggie oil. The blog continues with a focus on the natural world and energy politics from a personal perspective

Thursday, February 23, 2012

 This is a bushtit nest. Bushtits are tiny birds who fly in feeding flocks and create a happy, active sound as they go..they aren't so afraid of people and often fly quite near. I went online to find out what kind of nest this was and a wonderful birder told me they usually have two broods a year. This old nest I discovered on my afternoon wander yesterday here on Riparia out by the creek.
 The big story has got to be the fruit trees..this is plum, I think. Everything is peaking now but today is windy so I hope that won't mess up the bees. The bee below will make broccoli honey? All kinds of unexpected flowers make the bees happy. There were more on the broccoli plants than on the fruit trees.
 Another time honored sight is Bruce down on his knees paying homage to the ancient art of planting out the transplants. It is so warm and dry for Feb...I hope his cruciforms (I'm not sure if this is broccoli but think it may be..) don't just bolt straight away.
 And I'll just end this installment with more flowering. If the world wouldn't intrude so much, if we could hold the joys of the seasons, if more people could have what they need... There's so much on my mind that doesn't match the glory of the days but walking around the land, noticing what might be fun to share, framing shots... it gives me calm. Calm I need as the bee needs and the flower needs our seasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home