Veggie Voyagers

Couple travelled 30 states and 3 Canadian provinces between 7/07 and 5/08 running their 1987 Ford truck on straight veggie oil. The blog continues with a focus on the natural world and energy politics from a personal perspective

Thursday, December 1, 2011

 Today started off very rocky for me. I was down again. Struggling with concerns about the Senate vote on the Defense Authorization Bill that would allow terrorism suspects anywhere to be detained indefinitely under military control and without right to trial. The other thing that sunk my spirit was the FDA ok for horses to be sold as meat in the U.S. It just seems like our country is becoming craven, shifting further and further from government by and for the people, founded in justice and shunning cruelty.
So, thanks to a nearby errand I walked the new labyrinth and it did me a world of good. I recognized almost immediately how I have a certain default for depressed mood when the news is bad, that I lack flexibility and judge easily. On the way back out of the labyrinth I forgave myself and felt lightened.
 Last weekend we had our first ski of the winter. There wasn't much snow but we picked up 24 gallons of veggie oil and got to check in on Einstein the goose at Child's Meadows. We did ski but it was less than perfect with people trying to drive their big trucks into the woods looking for Christmas trees, roaring their engines to avoid getting stuck.
The big event today was the CSUC student Occupy General Assembly. Riding my bike past the new parking structure I had to reflect how ironic it is that they are being forced to pay higher tuitions and to become indebted for projects like this that should never be built (aside from cost, the issue of climate change and the fact there is no need for this project.)
Everyone was attentive and focused through a long meeting about what to do about the fee increases. I heard the consensus to occupy but left before the place was determined. I went to an authors event at Lyon Books. The Veggie Voyagers book continues to not sell well. I've come to accept it.
My last act of the political day was to walk in the World AIDS Day candlelight walk, my thoughts on all those who have died, those living with HIV/AIDS and those at risk. When I was an HIV counselor we had plenty of money for testing. Now Stonewall Alliance has to fund raise for testing-- 12$ a test. More ridiculous priorities -- underfunding testing and feeding an epidemic.
Tomorrow my dear Orien is sworn in as an attorney and we will be in SF for that and then heading to Reno to pick up books that didn't sell on consignment... con sigh. Running on bio-diesel so I'm just going to enjoy getting un-occupied for a few days. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home